Monday 20 July 2015

One of Many Reasons I Love my Mother

When it became clear that we'd have to say goodbye to Isaac, my mother made him a little quilt. The hospital has a program through which the local quilting organisation donates handmade quilts for stillborn babies but I wanted something personal - something made with love, just for our baby.  In between the many hours at the hospital with us and her own grief, Mum managed to make a smaller version of the full-size quilt she'd just started working on.

The quilt lived in the hospital bed with me for the two days before Isaac was born. I had some insane notion that if it smelled a little like me, it might bring the baby comfort.

Isaac was born at half past midnight. The nurse wrapped him in a soft cotton blanket, then in the knitted blanket we'd brought with us from home. When he was passed to me, I wrapped the quilt around him as well.

When it was time to say goodbye to Isaac, we decided to keep the quilt with us. Mum made a small replica square of the quilt and we placed it on his casket during his service.

My husband says it will make a great "Big Brother" quilt - something to remind any future children that they have a big brother watching out for them.

Me, well, I take comfort from being able to touch something that once touched my son. I sleep with it atop my pillow; I'm sure it's stained with tears.

Mum mentioned yesterday that when we're ready, she'll take the quilt back and put a label on it. I said that I was sort of using it as a pillow at the moment and we both cried a little and Mum said that was nice.

Then she thought about it for a moment, and added "But it will be bat-shit crazy if you're still doing it a few months from now."

It made me laugh, and it made me feel okay - okay that I was still attached to my son's quilt, okay that the time would come when I could let it go.

God, I love my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment